- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience10 years
- Job FieldEducation / Teaching
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Subject to the provisions of The Universities Act No. 42 of 2012 as amended by Universities (Amendment) Act No 48 of 2016 and Umma University Statutes, the Vice Chancellor shall:
- Be the Academic and Administrative Head of the University, thus providing effective leadership;
- Be the Chairperson of the Senate and the Management Board ;
- Be the Secretary to and an ex officio member of the University Council ;
- Provide leadership in resource mobilization and be able to enhance national and international linkages;
- Develop and recommend to Council short and long term strategies, business plans and annual operating budgets and establish proper internal monitoring control systems and procedures and;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Council.
Subject to the provisions of The Universities Act No. 42 of 2012 as amended by Universities (Amendment) Act No 48 of 2016 and Umma University Statutes the Vice Chancellor will be the Chief Executive of the University.
To be eligible for appointment as the Vice Chancellor, applicants shall have the following minimum qualifications:
- Must hold an earned PhD from a recognized University and preferably be a full or associate Professor;
- Have thorough knowledge in structural, legislative and regulatory framework for administration and management of University Education in Kenya;
- Have at least ten (10) years hands-on academic and research experience at a senior level, and possess demonstrated managerial ability and capacity for leadership in an academic and/or research institution;
- Have extensive knowledge of public finance management and public procurement process;
- Possess corporate governance skills, interpersonal and communication skills, high ethical standards, integrity and professionalism;
- Have a proven track record of international scholarship evidenced by publications in peer reviewed academic/professional journals and university-level books or book chapters;
- Demonstrable ability to attract grants and resources for scholarship, research and development as well as consultancy;
- Have thorough knowledge of current national, regional and global trends in the development of and provision of higher education; and
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya on Leadership and Integrity;
- Must be able to articulate Islamic values in all aspects of the University Management.
TENURE OF OFFICE
In accordance with of the provisions of The Universities Act No. 42 of 2012 as amended by Universities (Amendment) Act No 48 of 2016 and Umma University Statutes, the Vice Chancellor shall hold office for a period of five (5) years renewable once for a further term of five (5) years subject to positive appraisal by the Council.
Method of Application
Interested persons should submit their applications as follows:
- Ten (10) hard copies of the application and;
- An electronic copy of the application in PDF format by email sent to Chairman of the University Council by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each application shall be accompanied by detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of relevant academic and professional certificates, copy of national Identity Card or Passport, testimonials and other relevant supporting documents. Scanned copies of these documents must accompany the email application.
Applicants must also submit valid and current clearance certificates from the following:
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Kenya Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- An approval/certification from the Commission for University Education (CUE) of Kenya for applicants with qualifications from foreign universities.
Applications, clearly marked “ Application for the position of Vice Chancellor”, must be submitted on or before 15th May, 2017 and should be sent as registered mail to:
The Chairman, Umma University Council,
P. O. Box: 713 – 01100, Kajiado – Kenya
Email: email@example.com | Web: www.umma.ac.ke
Note: Umma University is an equal opportunity employer. Women, marginalized groups and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply.